Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Most enjoyable topic

The part of women's health that has left a lasting impression on me is the Born into Brothels video. Watching the documentary was so intriguing and it gave me a lot of insight about life in the red light district. My heart went out to the children in the video. Zana worked so hard to get these children enrolled school and her efforts were totally doomed when many of the parents removed the kids from school. The children were my greatest concern throughout the video. I could not believe the type of lifestyles these kids lead and the exposure they faced because of what I believe to be a generational curse. Sadly to say, many of the girls in the documentary probably ended up being prostitutes for no other reason than to have the basic necessities of life. After watching the video I developed an interest in advocating against women and human trafficking. I only hope time will allow for me to explore this health issue in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stacy, I was also moved by both videos that were required to watch. I would love to know what the children are doing now. It's sad to think that the female children that returned to the brothel are probably working the streets right now. I, too, have a new interest in advocating against human trafficking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy,

    I really enjoyed Born Into Brothels as well. Even though Zana's efforts did not make as big of a difference as she may have hoped, I am sure she is still glad she went through all the trouble to try. If she saved one life from prostitution and hopelessness it was worth it. It really made me want to reach out and helped underprivileged children more. Great work!

    ReplyDelete